The process of working on the name of any company or product can be considered its birth. The name plays a huge role in the future promotion of any brand. It should reflect the main ideas of your business, its advantages, value and concepts. Numerous studies prove the importance of naming in creating a holistic image of a company. The resulting name can be a powerful identifier and driving force for the brand. To begin with, it is necessary to fully study the company’s activities, identify its advantages, potential, future prospects and challenges.
The main principles of naming
Below we will consider the main principles by which you can develop the right name for the brand:
- Uniqueness of the name – a successful name should have no analogues among competitors in its market.
- Ease of pronunciation – the target audience should have no trouble pronouncing the product name.
- Conformity to price category – how well the name chosen for the brand or product corresponds to the price segment in which the product will be sold.
- Ease of remembering – how easy it is for customers to remember the name and whether they will be able to repeat it, even after a few minutes.
- Legal aspect – you should check whether there are no legal restrictions, for example, if there is already a trademark in the category with the same name.
Ways to come up with a company name
There are quite a few methods for selecting a brand name that are sure to benefit you:
- Associations. Write down all the words about your business that pop into your head. This is where it’s important to find the very expression that describes your business. For example, a plant store – «Flora».
- Abbreviations. One way to create and choose a brand name is to use abbreviations from the first letters or parts of words. For example: ASOS(As Seen On Screen).
- Alliteration. This is when similar or identical consonant sounds are repeated. Remembering a name is much easier if it has rhyme, sound, a certain rhythm or repetition of words. For example: Coca-Cola, Tik-Tak, Chupa-Chups, Shake’n’Bake.
- Company name generators. If you get tired of making up names, try the programs, they will at least help you get inspired. The most famous generator is Turbologo. The service contains many templates and user-friendly interface. Just enter key phrases + field of activity and get ready variants in a few minutes.
- Mythology. The essence of the method is to use the names of heroes or gods from mythology. An example would be Mazda, named after the Japanese god Mazda, endowed with special wisdom and harmony.
Work through the options, do not make a decision quickly – if the idea seems very good today, after a couple of days it may seem quite inappropriate. This is not a one-day process, so take your time. And remember – even the most brilliant name can’t make up for a poor quality product. There are thousands of examples around us of very popular companies with rather simple and unimpressive names.
Read more interesting articles at Hub Blogging
Leave a Reply