It seems like newborn babies and kids, in general, need a lot of accessories, and guess what? They do. But how does an expectant parent know what is worth buying and is a necessity and what is just a nice to have. It is quite difficult to tell an essential from a must-have. Read on to know them and buy from Wakefit, who can get it delivered to you.
Accessories to Buy for your Newborn
Babies sleep for more than 20 hours a day in the first few months after their birth, so it is no wonder that it tops the list of things to have.
- Cribs and Cradles: Among the important kids accessories are the crib and cradles. Indian parents do not right away start using a full-size crib but start with cradles. A reliable cradle and later a baby crib mattress helps the baby sleep comfortably and independently until they transition to a bed.
- Bedding: While many fancy crib sheets are available, you only need a couple of washable and waterproof sheets. Additionally, you can have a few fleece or cotton wearable blankets. But beware of the risk of SIDS.
- Baby monitor: It is installed in the nursery to keep tabs on the baby while you are away from the room. A basic audio model is enough, while an expensive video monitor can also be installed.
When it comes to feeding, irrespective of the method you choose, here is a list of essentials you will need:
- Breastpumps: Though you may feel it is a luxury, a breast pump is necessary. Using a breast pump, you can pump out the milk, store it and feed the baby even when you are not around.
- Feeding bottles and accessories: These come in many sizes and types. Choose the material that you feel is safe. Choose nipples that are anti-colic so that it reduces the amount of air the baby swallows. Always choose BPA-free feeding bottles as they can endure higher temperatures. Other accessories include a bottle brush, sterilisers, and thermos. Once they start, solid food bowls, spoons, nursing bibs, and sippy cups become a necessity.
- Formula: If you are bottle-feeding, it is a must-have item on your shopping list. Choose a formula that is recommended by your paediatrician.
- High chairs: Kids high chairs become necessary once they can sit upright. It teaches them to be independent and improves their hand-end coordination as they try to feed themselves.
Diapers are the foremost thing that comes to mind when the question of baby accessories arises. Diapers can be disposable ones or cotton nappies. Indian grandmothers prefer reusable nappies as it is a safe option. But the chances of running out are high as they are single-use. Disposable diapers, on the other hand, are most convenient as they can be tossed out when soiled. However, they are not biodegradable.
- Rash cream: Along with diapers, a good quality diaper rash cream is required as the baby’s sensitive skin can get damaged due to the use of diapers.
- Changing mat: These come in handy when changing the baby’s diaper. Choose options that are easy to clean and also take as it comes in handy when travelling with the baby.
- Wet wipes: Wet wipes are needed to clean the bottom gently and allow the skin to retain moisture.
Bathing plays a prominent role in Indian parenting, and grandmothers vouch for their benefits. For the first couple of weeks, a quick wipe with a cotton swab is done; very soon, they are given a full-fledged oil massage and bath, for which you will need:
- Bathtub: While plastic bathtubs are convenient and easy, you can choose foldable and inflatable tubs too. Kids towels that are soft and absorbent are another important item needed for a bath.
- Massage oil: Tradition oils like coconut oil, Lal Tail, etc., are used to massage the body. If you buy bottled oils, get the organic version or buy trusted brands.
- Baby cream: Even after a good oil bath, it is recommended that the baby’s skin be moisturised with a good cream. Do a patch test and wait for any reaction and then apply all over the body.
- Baby shampoo: A tear-free, mild, and fragrance-free baby wash and shampoo is needed for a bath. Buy a small bottle to check for allergies and then stock up.
When you are ready to go out, a few accessories are needed to carry the baby around. A kangaroo pouch to carry around the little one, dry sheets, a stroller or a pram, a car seat, and a rocker or a baby swing that serves different purposes. You can pick them up as and when the need arises.
While there are many other things that you can have as part of the essentials list, these are enough for at least the first few months of your body. The list too grows and changes as the baby too grows and changes!
Leave a Reply