The common method through which people get infected with STDs is when they have unsafe sex with persons carrying the infection. This explains why protected sex, good hygiene, and the use of condoms are encouraged.
But do you know one can actually have an STI without indulging in unhealthy habits or unsafe sexual activities? Yes, it is true.
Some of the methods include:
- Tanning beds: Who would ever think that getting on and off a tanning bed would pose a risk to STDs? However, infections like HPV and herpes are contracted via this uncommon method. According to Doctors, viruses and other infections can thrive on tanning beds. Why? The warm temperature and consistent use of these beds build a suitable atmosphere for these organisms to survive. The chances of contracting an infectious disease from this source are minimal, but you need to be cautious if you use them. You don’t have to wait for symptoms to show up before getting an STD screening.
- Oral sex: HIV is minimally transmitted via oral sex, but you can’t be sure of other infections. From research, there are sexual health diseases like syphilis and gonorrhoea of the throat that are contracted via oral sex. So, don’t say, “it’s just oral sex; I can’t get infected”. So far,if sex is not protected, you are at risk. Some persons may use dental dams as protection during oral sexual activity. Do consult your healthcare provider for the best advice.To get tested, you can visit us at Sexual Health Clinic. We provide confidential private STD tests in London.
- Breastfeeding: Mothers with infections can pass them on to their babies via breast milk. If you don’t want your baby to be infected, stop breastfeeding them completely; this is the only solution, particularly for STIs such as trichomoniasis, herpes, syphilis and HIV/AIDS. But diseases like gonorrhoea, chlamydia and HPV are not transmissible via breastfeeding. Pregnant women must maintain good health sexually and generally to give birth to a healthy baby.
- Hands that are not washed: Are you surprised? Unwashed hands are indeed a very common way through which infectious diseases enter the body.For instance, if you don’t wash your hands properly after using the restroom, you may contract hepatitis A from faecal deposits hidden under the fingers when you eat. It is an infection without a cure. Other dirty hands-related STDs are chlamydia, herpes and syphilis. If the dirty hands come into contact with your eyes, ocular syphilis may develop.
Should you be experiencing symptoms of STDs such as red eyes or hazy vision, see us at the Sexual Health Clinic.
- Mosquitoes: Wow! Are mosquitoes not associated with malaria and sleeping sickness? Yes, they are. But some and not all mosquitoes transmit infection. The AedesAeqypti mosquito – yellow fever mosquito –is also called the sole carrier of the ZIKA virus.Mind you, this ZIKA virus can be passed on sexually, so it is an STD. This disease is malignant, particularly in pregnant women. It can also cause congenital disabilities. Have you been exposed to the ZIKA virus? Kindly contact an STD clinic for screening. Our Sexual Health Clinic is also open for you to get a private test.
- Childbirth: If a sexually transmitted disease has been identified in a woman, the baby can contract the infection in three ways. It can be during delivery, when the water breaks, or during incubation.Often, diseases like syphilis and HIV can be passed on to the child inside the womb. This transmission can be stopped in several ways, including the use of antibiotics, vaccines, and antiviral medications to prevent the infection from getting to the child. If the mother is HIV-infected, taking early treatment can lower the risks of spreading to the baby.
It is now evident that sexually transmitted diseases are not always transmitted through sexual activities. So, if you believe that only unprotected sex can give STDs, let it be known that all the above methods can allow infectious diseases to get into the body.
If you are experiencing any STD symptoms or have been recently infected, you can visit us at the Sexual Health Clinic for confidential private STD tests in London. Having an infection is not the end of the world. Don’t feel embarrassed or anxious if you have an STD. Always practice safe sex and hygienic habits. It does well.
Leave a Reply